10 Ways to Help Your Dog Survive New Year Holidays .ru
Every year, announcements of dogs lost in the evening or night of December 31 appear. And since the dogs are fleeing in a panic from the cannonade, they are fleeing without taking the road and cannot return home. But even if you managed to keep the dog, the stress from the experienced horror can last up to 3 weeks.
Some owners are sure that if the dog is not afraid of shots, fireworks and firecrackers will not scare her. Is not a fact. Dogs are sensitive to a wider range of sounds and distinguish the sound of a shot from a firecracker or fireworks, in addition, they are frightened by the whistle preceding the explosion and are nervous when they see other dogs fleeing in a panic or people screaming during fireworks.
Therefore, even if you are sure that your dog will not be afraid of firecrackers and fireworks, do not risk it - do not drag it to places where firecrackers can explode and start fireworks. If you want to admire them, go there without a dog, and leave your pet at home.
If the dog is afraid, you can help her deal with anxiety.
On the photo: New Year’s fireworks do not please dogs
- The best (but, unfortunately, far from always feasible) option is to take the dog away from the noise of the New Year's city. You can go out of town. And the worst thing you can do is leave, leaving the dog on strangers. If the dog also loses its owner, fireworks can finish it off.
- If the dog is basically shy, you should consult your veterinarian in advance - he may prescribe medications that you can give the dog in advance or in case of fright. However, it’s worthwhile to test the medicine earlier - the dog may have an allergy to it, but you are unlikely to find a veterinarian on the night of January 1.
- Get ready in advance. In about a week, you should prepare a comfortable lounger for the dog in a room without windows or in a room where sounds from the street are less audible. Put your favorite toys and goodies there. The dog will have a secluded place where it can hide, and this will reduce anxiety.
- Do not let the dog off the leash! And start driving on a leash 1 to 2 weeks before the holiday and do not let go a couple of weeks after the New Year.
- If possible, get around people who, in your opinion, want to blow up firecrackers or launch fireworks.
- If the previous rule could not be observed, the firecracker exploded nearby and the dog looks scared, stroking and reassuring her is a bad decision. It is better to show with your appearance that there is nothing to fear, and the noise is not worthy of attention. Just move on. It is also not worth praising that the dog is not afraid.
- Do not bring the dog to the window so that she admires the salute, and do not run to the window yourself. Attracting a dog’s attention to these sounds is not the best solution.
- Avoid overexcitation of the dog. Cancel during the game and training, if they excite your pet.
- On December 31, walk the dog well in the morning and afternoon. Do not put off your evening walk after 18:00. Even at this time there will be a roar, but still the probability of being scared is less.
- If the dog whines and runs around the rooms, do not disturb it, but provide access to a room where sounds are not so audible. If the dog trembles and snuggles up to you (only in this case!), Hug it and begin to breathe deeply in a certain rhythm. You will feel that the dog shudders less often. If she expressed a desire to leave, let her do it.
In the photo: The dog should have a secluded place where she can hide from the New Year’s cannonade. Photo: pixabay.com
If you have a life story with a pet,send them to us and become an author!